Throughout the centuries of her existence, the Catholic Church has sponsored institutions of learning to challenge the human mind in the pursuit of knowledge, truth and wisdom. While serving a wide variety of academic abilities and gifts, Mary Star of the Sea High School challenges every student in a focused and disciplined educational environment which includes the integration of the Catholic faith across the curriculum.
Mary Star of the Sea High School students are genuine thinkers who:
- Possess a solid foundation in the core curriculum
- Analyze critically, evaluate thoughtfully, and communicate effectively
- Are prepared for the challenges of higher education and the workplace
Mary Star of the Sea High School provides for the needs of both the college-bound and non-college bound student. The school’s curriculum meets all state, archdiocesan and college requirements. The requirements for graduation for Mary Star of the Sea High School pertain to entrance into the University of California and the California State University systems.
A student of Mary Star of the Sea High School must successfully achieve a minimum of 240 academic units to graduate; each course completed with a passing grade is equivalent to 5 units per semester. In addition to their academic requirements, students must accumulate a minimum 80 hours of Christian service prior to graduation.
Some statistics that characterize the Mary Star education:
- Average class size of 23
- Student/Faculty Ratio 17:1
- Mary Star of the Sea graduates 100% of our seniors each year
- In 2018, 74% of Mary Star who took AP Exams earned scores of 3+ (3, 4, or 5), and annually exceeds both the California and Global percentages
- in 2018, 119 different students took an AP Exam, while the school submitted a total of 260 total exams
- 95% of 2018 graduates met the A-G requirements of the UC and Cal State systems
- 99% of the Class of 2018 are college bound, with two students enlisting in the military
|Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW)
|MSHS Mean Score 2018: 562
|MSHS Mean Score 2018: 580
|National Score 2017: 544
|National Score 2017: 538